Lawrence G. Townsend
Lawrence G. Townsend
Welcome to the Lawrence G. Townsend, Intellectual Property Lawyer website. But please, clients and friends call me Larry. You should too.
Here's a snapshot of who I am and what I'm pleased to offer you:
Intellectual Property Lawyer: based in San Francisco with 29 years of experience.
Expertise: Domestic and international trademark prosecution; clearances of names and marks; counseling, licensing and litigation in the areas of trademark, copyright, trade secret, unfair competition, software, new media technology, domain names, publishing, advertising, rights of publicity, and art law: photography, graphic design, and fine art; obtaining insurance coverage for policyholders in intellectual property disputes; trial consultant and expert witness in IP law, customs, practices, and procedures.
Experienced Advocate: Representing plaintiffs and defendants in IP and business disputes, arbitrations, and trials in both state and federal courts throughout California.
Personal Service: Friendly, responsive, and keenly sensitive to the fact that clients are real people with real budgets. Contingent fees available for select copyright and trade secret claims.
Author: Various legal articles, and Secrets of the Wholly Grill (Carroll & Graf, New York 2002), a satiric novel, optioned for film, about the software industry. Kirkus Reviews: "The perfect gift for everyone who has ever cursed Windows." Oakland Tribune: "Impressive debut novel...easily mixes styles and genres to create a courtroom thriller that comically tackles modern issues such as intellectual property rights and business ethics."
Presenter: Speaker on various aspects of IP law, writing, publishing, and humor.
Of Counsel Relationship: Long-established working relationship with the venerable IP firm, Owen, Wickersham & Erickson, P.C., making additional staffing and resources available for your matter, but only if you request it. (NOTE: Representation by the Owen firm requires separate retainer agreement)
Areas of Practice
- 100% Intellectual Property Law
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1979
- University of California, Santa Barbara, California
- B.A. - 1974
- Major: English
- Secrets of the Wholly Grill, Carroll & Graf Publishers, New York, 2002
- Shrink-Wrap Solution, Authors Guild Bulletin, Spring, 2002
- Shrink Wrap-Up: One License Doesn't Fit All, Los Angeles Daily Journal, February 22, 1996
- Limited Licenses: The Unfortunate Fragility of Shrinkwrap, Intellectual Property, The Magazine of Law and Policy for High Technology, Spring, 1996
- Ticket to E-Ride: Name for Airline's Electronic Service is Generic, San Francisco Daily Journal, March 30, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California State Bar, Member: Intellectual Property Section
- San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association
- Marin County Bar Association
- The Authors Guild
- San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property Law Inn of Court, Past Member
- Alumni Advisory Board, J. Thomas McCarthy Institute for Intellectual Property and Technology Law